View Single Post
Old 04-30-2017, 06:58 PM   #1996
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Very nice work on everything Vic! I like the bender project too. That's right in my wheelhouse. I do that kind of stuff all the time. I have a long machinist background.
Thanks, Mike! I finally finished the tubing beader just today. Still waiting on a 40mm silicone hose (coming from Australia) to get back on the radiator hose project, but at least the beader works. Photos below...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
Dang Vic... This level of build is something I could only dream of. I'm so jealous not only of what you are able to do but of that shop as well... I may have to stop checking in on you because it always makes me wanna just burn mine lol

I cant even get the 3 stupid SS brake line sections I need flared done right now... I should have never gone that route.

You are doing a Beautiful Job!!
Thanks a million for the kind words! I need to be propped up now and then when things go south. I know what you're saying about SS lines. PITA! I gave up trying to get my old flaring tools to work on them and invested in the Inline Tube / Eastwood style setup. It's much much better, but not foolproof. I usually do a couple of test pieces to get the hang of it. Then hold my breath on the actual line.

The tube beading project has finally ended, except for doing the actual pieces I plan to use. I've done three beads, two successfully, one not so much. What I found is that if you have tubing with inconsistent wall thickness, you have to start on the thickest section and work it back and forth until you get it started all the way around. The mandrel bends I bought were either deformed during bending or the tubing was crap from the factory.

The beader body is made from a chunk of 1" X 3" aluminum about 6" long. The block that holds the male roller is Delrin with a bronze bushing pressed in that the roller rotates in. The female roller is a piece of 17-4 stainless that I had previously made for a brake piston project. I parted it off and used a R12ZZ bearing so it free wheels. The male roller and the shaft the bearing is pressed onto are 12L14 steel. I recessed a small brass disc into the Delrin where the adjuster bolt contacts it to distribute the load. The whole thing cost less than $25 since most of the stuff was in my junk boxes. And it only took me two weeks...
Attached Images

Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote