View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 10:44 PM   #3
76C10Stepside

Re: Engine Died then came back to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Rich View Post
After thirty years my vote would be the fuel pump. You might have a clog somewhere that might be related.
Thanks for weighing in. That's 2 votes for fuel pump.

Drove into town this afternoon. Got to first destination, no problems. On the way to the second destination, it stalled again at a stop light. Then again at a stop sign a couple of miles later. This time, the check engine light and dash flashed on/off a couple of times before it stalled. All other times, it is idling right at 750 rpm then just shuts off.

This truck has the digital dash, so the tach is just bars. But the engine sounds like it is idling at a steady rate. I don't think it's slowing to a stall or going up/down at all.

Parked the truck and walked the rest of the way to second destination, then walked back. Truck started right up. Drove it all the way home without further incident, but I did avoid any stops, tried to keep the revs up to 1000 at the 3 stop signs I had to stop at. My road is 50 mph for the last 6 miles (before that it's 40 for several miles). There were no problems at all. Plenty of throttle response, etc.

If the fuel pump were failing or there was a clogged filter sock, I would expect the engine speed to rise and fall, and maybe to die when actually moving down the road. But I'm used to carbureted engines, so...
76C10Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote