View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #63
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: 53 BURBAN barn find

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIZZLER View Post
But what about brakes and steering.
Front disk kits are readily available from several vendors. They are not real expensive. Both 5-lug and 6-lug options are available though neither of them will let you use the stock wheels.

I don't know that there is a kit to put disk on the stock rear but since most people convert from torque tube to open drive in conjunction with an engine swap that's usually not an issue. Choose a rear that comes with or can be converted to disk.

There are several approaches to power steering. I don't like the rack and pinion on a straight axle approach. I think its bad engineering and will both hurt ride and handling. Skip that approach.

People talk about a Toyota based approach but I've never been able to find information that made it seem superior to the GM Saginaw box approach. The Saginaw box used on a Chevy or GMC pickup from about 1970 through 1987 can be put on the 1/2-ton frame using an inexpensive kit. The kit both gives you power steering and moves the steering box away from the exhaust manifold in a V-8 swap.

I'm currently planning a truck using basically this approach. I plan a dropped axle from Sid (droppedaxles.com I think) with a 5-lug disk kit and power steering from CPP. I'll replace the kingpins and shackles and probably update the tie-rod ends.

At the rear I'll probably use an S-10 4x4 rear, which is a little narrow but I happen to have one on hand. Its a drum brake version but I feel that is adequate. A possible alternative is a 60's 6-lug open drive rear I have. If I go that route I'll need to switch plans and go with a 6-lug disk kit in front. I have a nice set of stock wheels and if I could go disk and use them I'd probably go 6-lug. Since that won't work I'm more likely to go 5-lug and buy a custom set of artillery wheels because my wife likes them.

This truck is being built as a driver for my wife and therefore will have some concessions to who she is. I've already specified power steering, it will need power brakes too. I plan to mount a booster and dual master on the firewall and will likely use something from my collection of junk.

The motor will be a small block, perhaps a 283 but if the one I have isn't good I'll rebuild a 305 or 350. I have a pile of TH350s so I'll use one of them. This truck won't make any significant trips and the TH350 is easy and cheap. Back to CPP for their engine and trans crossmembers to mount whatever motor and trans.

I'm buying a number of parts to do this one, while often I try to build more of it myself. This one I really want rock solid and comfortable for the wife to feel free to attend local cruises driving it herself. I doubt she'll ever drive it even 100 miles. I can imagine her taking it to a show that is 45 miles away but that is likely her limit. I just want to fulfill the promise I made to build her one and make sure she has fun with it.

The basis of this particular truck happens to be a '53 GMC Suburban frame that I have stashed out back. The cab is a '49 or '50 1-ton 5-window. The bed is from a '48 and I haven't chosen fenders yet but I have enough stashed around. My wife is only 5 feet tall so it will need buckets to allow her to drive it and carry a passenger. She really likes the seats in my Corvette and I have an extra set of those so those are likely what will go in this truck.

I have a steering column with very similar controls to the car she was driving a year ago. I'll probably use that one in this truck, though the logic no longer makes sense since she changed cars.

Sorry, I didn't intend to turn your thread into my build thread, but I thought illustrating an approach and some of the thinking might be helpful. At least I hope it is!

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote