View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 12:16 PM   #52
SuperBuickGuy

Re: Things that annoy: "AC Works, but"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100%Chevy View Post
I've been doing a/c repair for many years.
And,I agree,the phrase-"Just needs some freon" is the most common complaint I hear!
If it needs freon,it has a leak!
Leaks cost time and money to repair.
One can won't fix it!Ever!It will still leak.
And,usually,it's a waste of time and freon.
But,it can get very expensive to rebuild a system,so most just sell the car and buy one with working a/c.
Or, do without.
Mike.
yep, that's pretty much the point. That said, I've used the "just needs" line to knock thousands off the price of a vehicle because I follow up with "worst case scenario that I have to replace everything" and "if you won't fix that, easy thing, then there must be much more then you realize is wrong with it." Basically, if you don't know - then I need to be extra careful and I'm doing you a favor by paying you 25% of asking for your crap. That works even better when they're asking way too much for the vehicle.

As a seller, the line I hate is "I can buy it on ebay for x" - I usually say "then why are you wasting my time, you'd have to be utterly stupid to buy my x when you can buy it for less from someone you've never met." "go away" .... lol, the usual response is chastisement followed by sale at my price.
SuperBuickGuy is offline   Reply With Quote