View Single Post
Old 01-19-2016, 02:16 AM   #2
MaxPF

Re: A K5 Cummins Conversion: The saga continues...

I kinda skipped past an intermediate step: my first axle swap in the Blazer. This happened in October 2006. I wanted to eventually run 37" tires and I figured the 10 bolt rear wouldn't appreciate it too much. I found a 6 lug 9.5" 14 bolt for a reasonable price, stripped it completely apart, and got it ready to swap:

After re-gearing, new bearings, and paint it got swapped in:

Now, I know what you're thinking: Big f**kin' deal, right? As far as the axle itself you'd be right as it's nothing special. However, this swap marked the beginning of The Slippery Slope

Sometime around mid-January of 07 I found a pair of 10b E-Lockers for sale on Ebay for a smokin' price Since I got such a good deal on them (one for my truck, one for my friend Todd's Jeep) I figured why not get some traction aids for the 14b with the savings. Todd, who also decided to run a 6-lug 14b in his Jeep, agreed. A few days later a pair of these arrived:

A couple months later I added comms gear in the form of an Icom 2720H dual band ham transceiver and a Rat Shack TRC-485 CB radio along with a Larsen dual band antenna for the ham rig and a Wilson 1000 for the CB:

With newfound traction and comms I was able to tackle harder trails, and more body damage ensued i really, REALLY needed bigger tires, and to fit them I needed a lift.....
1991 V1500 Blazer (Silverado), 5.9L 12V P-pumped Cummins (5x .012 sac injectors, #6 fuel plate, WH1C with external 38mm wastegate running 30psi), NV4500 with 1-⅜" input shaft, SBC Con-O clutch, NP205, HAD, 4.10 D61/14BFF spinning 37" Nitto Exo's

"I got a shotgun, a rifle, and a four wheel drive and a country boy can survive."
MaxPF is offline   Reply With Quote