View Single Post
Old 02-24-2019, 08:47 PM   #18
nsb29

Re: Steel Wheel Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by theastronaut View Post
That's an annoying area to get right even when you're painting wheels. If you blast them sand gets trapped there and you have to dig it out with a razor blade. High build primer can fill in the gap, usually only in spots so that looks like garbage. I usually scrape and use folded sandpaper to get everything out so the gap is open and clean, then use a light epoxy to prime and seal the metal without bridging the gap. I like to use single stage urethane on wheels; it holds up well and won't scratch off if care is taken when mounting tires.

***Note for powdercoated wheels*** Always remove the coating under the lug nuts! Powdercoat is thicker than paint and if/when it chips out your wheels can come loose!
You are so right it looks like sand was left in there to me I use Reduced epoxy and syringe to get it in the crack before painting if I make a mess I’ll clean it up this way I get protection down in that seemWithout bridging the gap I also believe in single stage I also hate powder coating if you get a chip rust will creep under it and then it will come off in sheets it is used in industry because there are no solvents and not regulated by the epa it is applied to bare metal you might as well put your paint directly to bare metal there is no difference it’s a joke if you live in a wet climate I know someone’s going to disagree lol