View Single Post
Old 03-12-2018, 11:54 AM   #28
1project2many

Re: Rear end ratio for 700R4?

Dransport, you are very helpful and provide earnest advice as do so many here. This is a good community and signal to noise ratio is consistently good.

But please look carefully. Technically when the OP mentioned the THM350 he (or she?) did not ask a question. He posted a plan:

Quote:
"Way ahead of you DransportGarage - I did a roll test today. Yep, it's an actual 2.73. So I'll be selling my 700R4 and replace it with a Turbo 350 - cheaper and simpler too. "
Although not a common approach these days, I believe this solution has merit. OP posted benefits from following this plan and I believe they are valid. In fact I've tried the same approach. There are no gross flaws to making it work and no obvious reasons to say "bad idea." There are low ratio gearsets available for the 350 which can help improve acceleration off the line if it's a concern, although no concern has been raised yet. So I see no reason to push toward the 700 / numerically higher rear axle ratio if the OP is not so inclined.

I realize that you were just sharing an opinion. It was presented well and invited consideration. And ultimately either approach can net satisfactory results. But what followed your opinion was frustrating to watch. The wagon train started rolling without anyone directly addressing the usefulness of the OP's plan. I'm not sure why the thread turned into a defense of the 700R4 or of the choice to use one with a numerically lower gear ratio. But the internet is a fickle place and these things happen.

Last edited by 1project2many; 03-12-2018 at 12:46 PM.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote