View Single Post
Old 12-24-2008, 08:22 PM   #14
kustombrad

Re: Project "49 No Buck$"

I went with the 81 Malibu front suspension for 2 reasons: it was cheap and was 3/4" narrower track width than a Camaro so the wheels would be a little more inboard. Now came the tricky part. The biggest thing on doing a clip is getting the wheelbase the same as stock. after rolling it into the middle of the garage, I put my wheels on the front of the stock axle (was easy because it was already 5 lug). I nailed a set of 2x4's in front and back of the rear wheels so they couldn't move. Next, I slid a 6' piece of 2x2" square tubing against the front and back of the front tires. Taking a black marker I put lines on the concrete to give me a reference point of where my front wheels needed to be. After cutting off the spring perches, we slid the front sheetmetal back on (left the hood in place) and lowered the jack to see where I wanted it at ride height. After deciding that the bottom of the fender looked *****in' at 4" from the ground (bottom of rim height) I climbed under and found a point on the frame to hold it up evenly on both sides (any spot will work as long as it's the same on both sides) so now the truck is at ride height! 1 1/2" square tubing tack welded to the frame and some 6"x.125" pieces I had laying around worked for my supports. I'll be back after Christmas with the rest of my tale if anybody is still interested. Have a great day tomorrow! Brad
kustombrad is offline   Reply With Quote