View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 06:44 PM   #40
Smniekamp

Re: 1981 K20 Project - The Blue Ox

If you've been following my thread you probably saw that I picked up a new bed to replace my old rusted one. Yesterday I thought would be a good day for a light project on the truck. I was simply going to sand a few surface rust spots and then fill them in with a touch of Bondo. When I got out to my truck I began to inspect the bed a little closer....I believe this is where the saying "don't go looking for trouble unless you're ready to find it" comes from... Bellow the back tail lights the previously rolled on bed liner was starting to peel up, being the curious guy I am I pulled back the bed liner to reveal quite the predicament. What I thought was a decently rust free bed quickly turned into a hacked and packed bed full of Bondo and rust... It appears that someone went ahead and covered some surface rust with Bondo then rolled bed liner over the top to hide everything. My quick sanding projected has evolved into another animal. I've never done any real sheet metal work on a vehicle before so I figure this will be a good place to start. I cut a piece off my old bed and am going to use that as my patch panel. Any tips or tricks you guys can offer would be great! Like I said its my first go at replacing metal on a vehicle. I'm not expecting anything close to perfect...this is going to be my driver/fishing truck after all haha. Here's a few pictures of what I was able to get done so far...

Name:  Rust Repair 1.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  Rust Repair 2.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  Rust Repair 3.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  47.8 KB

Name:  Rust Repair 4.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  49.5 KB