View Single Post
Old 07-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #18
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: 1960 - 1965 Steering Wheels

"Can be read as" and what is actually written are two different things. So before you mis-read anymore things and post more personal attacks, let me try and make this clear for you, understanding that I'm probably addressing a lost cause since my reference to black firewall and body color firewall differences between plants was not specific to trucks.

The steering wheel the OP posted I acknowledged as correct for 1961 up to 1965, and that 1966 used a different deluxe steering wheel that is often found on 1965 Chevy IIs. However, while the same steering wheel was used on different model vehicles, often the horn configurations varied. You see, the steering wheel and horn ring/button are two different things. In post 15, my response was to the general statement that the steering wheel used as the 61-65 Chevy truck deluxe option was indeed used pre-1966 Chevy truck, and used on other vehicles, just as other steering wheels from other vehicle models were also used on other models or years (not just trucks) - this is not mutually exclusive to just Chevrolet branded vehicles, but was a practice of the parts interchangeability assembly strategy. For example, the 1963 Pontiac Tempest LeMans Custom option came with the 1962-63 clear Pontiac Bonneville/Catalina/Ventura steering wheel, but used a 1961 Bonneville/Catalina/Ventura horn ring and button configuration. That's not myth...that's a fact as I've owned and still own these vehicles.

The timing of this practice of using parts across years and models varied depending on inventory surpluses and supply chain factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-66 View Post
post 15 can be read as , that steering wheel was installed in that truck because "different assembly plants received and exhausted inventory at different times, particularly with the higher volume operations. I've owned many vehicles that were assembled at the Oakland, CA, Fremont, CA facilities; and the Southgate, CA, plant, and there were some differences in the same year models that were assembled between them and in plants back east. " as it was in response to Kens post 14, or were you referring to some other post ?
Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote