View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
realvc

Re: 1982 C 10 outer wheel bearing race removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
If that race has any sort of lip at all (it should) then it should be possible to force and over-sized disc with a relief slot down behind it. I used the socket to drive the disc past the smallest part of the cone/race. Once the disc was driven behind the race, I used a slightly oversized bolt to re-expand the disc, put a nut on it and the disc was tight enough to drive the race out from the other side.
Maybe not the easiest or best solution but it worked. I could have bought the front bearing retainer with a race already pressed in but since I was using Timken bearings, I know they machine the bearing/race as a matched set. I wanted to use the matched race so I had to r&r mine.
Thanks for you reply.

The opening behind the race is smaller than the race. The rotor is machined with a small step just behind the race then it is smaller. You can't get a tool on the back side of the race from the back side of the rotor to where you can get a good bite to knock it out. The tool will have to offset. I will have to make tool or just take the rotors to a brake/machine shop and have them remove the bearing races for me.

I'll have to plan a trip to town but in the mean time there are plenty of other things I be working on.

Thanks again for your help.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote