View Single Post
Old 12-14-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
realvc

Re: 1982 C 10 outer wheel bearing race removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard2112 View Post
I had a very similar problem when removing a bearing race from the input shaft of a transmission.
I made a tool (very easy to do) from a chunk of frame I had laying around.

It was just a disc, about 7 thousandths larger than the bottom of the race. Drill a small hole in the center of the disc and cut a relief slot. The relief slot will allow the disc to collapse slightly when you drive it into the hub and it will get trapped behind the edge of the race you are trying to remove. Then thread a bolt into the center hole of the disc which will expand the disc tightly behind the race. Turn the hub over and insert a large socket or pipe and drive the disc with a small sledge. It should drive the race out.

Measure your race. My dimensions are for my input shaft race. Same technique applies though.
I just reread your first reply and realize that the disc goes through from the front. I'm a little, no a lot slow some times. Anyway this may work if I have a hole saw that will cut through frame rail.

Thanks again and sorry for not getting it sooner.
I'll let you know how it goes. I'm slow when it come to getting things done too so it may be a while.
Galatians 6:14
62 SWB stepside, 94 Wrangler, 99 Z71, 99 vette

My Project http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=719086
"If it's too loud, you're too old"
realvc is offline   Reply With Quote