View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #191
Airdirect

1979 Chevrolet C70 Conversion to OEM Air Conditioning

My sons (Aaron & Noah) spent the day with me picking up a McCormick Deering 22-36 from Southeast Kansas. Planning to harvest parts off it to restore another WD-40 McCormick Deering. Truck made the journey easy and the rollback bed with winch proved to be invaluable. Noah got stopped by the DOT, they told him the truck was a commercial vehicle. I later printed the regulations and highlighted where 26,000 and less GVW without air brakes is exempt. Hopefully this will help next time any of us get stopped.

From DOT Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulation Web Site

Question 6: A driver operates a tractor of exactly 26,000 pounds Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR), towing a trailer of exactly 10,000 pounds GVWR, for a GCWR of 36,000 pounds. HM and passengers are not involved. Is it a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV)s and does the driver need a CDL?

Guidance:

No to both questions. Although the vehicle has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 36,000 pounds, it is not a Commercial Motor Vehicle (CMV) under any part of the definition of that term in §383.5, and a CDL is not federally required.
Attached Images

Airdirect is offline   Reply With Quote