Thread: Dumptruck Dolly
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 02:04 AM   #175
fishnixon

Re: Dumptruck Dolly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
So Im not even close to knowing how this works ... Do you take the spring mounts from K20 and just line everything up so the wheels are centered in the wheel wells on the future K30? I know there is more to it than that, but is that the basics? What all else are you going to have to do to the front area to make it 4x4 compatible? Aren't 4x4 engine cross members different? What about rear gears matching the new front axel? And how about the C30 style wheels, do they just bolt to the 3/4 ton axel like any 8 lug wheel would? Are you changing out the dually rear or keeping it?

I know, a bunch of questions haha! I have a C30 and extra 3/4 ton running gear. The cab is spoken for but I have another and an extra cab light roof. Probably nothing I would ever do, but I'm really cleaning house right now and I have a just in case pile lol.
1. Yes, using K20 spring mounts and putting them on Dolly.

2. I have to separate the transfer case and it’s support and bolt it up to Dolly’s 4speed. It’s the drive shafts that have me concerned...might have to get some made up...don’t know yet, but this is solvable.

3. For now, I am keeping the 292 6 cylinder. This means when removing Dolly’s 2wd setup, I will cut the main crossmember but leaving enough to keep the motor mounts and engine where they are. Stay tuned on that one.

4. I’ll make sure the front gears will match the rear in due time...not a big deal.

5.Keeping the C30 bud wheels will require a housing that will go over the axle/wheel ends...hard to describe right now, and I’ll cross that bridge and learn about it at the same time.

6. I am keeping the Dually rear end.
fishnixon is offline   Reply With Quote