View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 02:04 AM   #1304
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Junkyard Jimmy Super Low Buck Build Thread

Really didn't do a ton on it this weekend. Friday I cleaned off most of the grunge from the axle.

The driver side was extra grungy. I think there is a bearing and seal out on that side. I could see some slop in the axle shaft at the u-joint. The pinion seal leaks a bit too. I figured the axle would need some maintenance. Will get to that before I put it on the road again.

Yesterday I unbolted things to get them out of the way, rear shackles, shocks, etc. Today I got the grinder out and started removing things like the shock mount and rear shackle bushing from the frame. I'm starting with the driver side. Its easy to get to.

I had to go back to August 2013 to find my last total spent figure, which was $4508. Since then I had bought a few new parts, a few used parts, 3 tires and a pair of axles. Total spent (as near as I can figure) is now $4908.

From what I have seen for kits, or custom built coilover swaps it would normally cost around $7-10k to do this. That includes the parts required for the swap itself, cross-over steering (required), axles, wheels and tires plus labor. And $10k is probably conservative. I saw 1 kit that was about $19k installed (front and rear).

I'm hoping to do this for $2000 or less. It's going to take still more luck, some patience and more work on my part, but I think it's possible. I'm hoping I can sell my old axles, wheels and tires to help offset some of the cost too.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote