View Single Post
Old 02-25-2017, 09:34 AM   #48
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Bigass Farm Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Good workin'! D's coming right along!
Yes he is. Gotta build up his experience and confidence. Once he get's this stuff done he'll be doing the same to his little stepper.

Last night I got the oil pressure sending unit from the 90 burb on and bolted down the intake manifold. I still need to get it torqued correctly. Don't let me forget.

Then I started getting the power steering set up figured out. I've got the old pump from the 454 still connected to the hoses. I've got the donor truck pump. Standard vs metric and which way do I want to go? I had a strong feeling the the mounting holes in both pumps would be the same and they are...

The problem I ran into using the old pump is the direction of the hose connections. I couldn't get it into position without kinking the hoses. I tried bending the supply line steel tubing with moderate success (broke my tube bender) but it just wasn't going to be enough. Look at this crazy design...

So I cut off the U bend and re-flared it...

So now the pump sits in the mount just fine. The pulley from the newer pump should work. I need to find some longer pump mount bolts though because the standard ones are a little shorter than the metric ones due to the extra thickness of that big aluminum mount.

I'm going to pick up a couple small 90* elbows for the return lines and some new hose. Ideally I'd replace the supply hose also but I'm going to have to find the right application or re-flare another brand new one.

I'm not sure what I'll do today, but I'll get something done. I did order the wire harness yesterday.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote