View Single Post
Old 04-03-2008, 06:36 PM   #8
88lowrider

Smile Re: HELP, Broke down Again !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 crew View Post
I read your book. What I see from your description is something is overheating. My only question is which comes first? you are getting no signal to the fuel pump relay, but a ecm will shut down the fuel system if it isn't sensing fire from the ignition system. If I was working on it I would start with the distributer, and coil. test them and make sure they work properly. also check for corrosion on the contacts. corrosion causes resistance and so does heat. When you reassemble put dielectric grease on module connections and coil connections. after that is done take it for a drive. If it screws up, let it cool down, and try it again. If I'm right about a temp issue it will refire when it cools down. The bad news is if the distributer doesn't fix it I'm gonna bet the pump is overheating and shutting down. Have you checked the fuel filter? if it is mostly plugged it can cause the pump to work too hard and over heat.
Good answer!!!
That was one of the main things I was looking for, the ECM shuts down the fuel system if the distributor module is screwy.

I am not sure if I posted this but when the fellow put the crate motor in for me, his son was helping him (doing most of the work I would suspect) and the distributor was in wrong. It was a tooth off so instead of pulling it or moving the plug wires to the next holes to adjust for it, they just rammed it back to get it to time in. Doing this the wires were stretched Hard and I had to bend the coil back a tad to get the wires to relax some. When I did that, I noticed that the wires were right next to the coils primary and I seen what looked to be a hot spot or black spot ( possible rubbing mark) on the wires to the distributor module.
I have that out and going to have it tested today..
Fuel pump filter, its been awhile so I will pick that up as well, Seems to me that was under the truck by the tank?

Also the fellow about picking up the manuals on Ebay and other places, good call, I would never had gone to the stealership and paid retail plus anyway..
Good call..

Good answers everyone, Thanks Very Much !!
88lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote