Thread: New Paint
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2017, 01:55 PM   #4
LuckyScott

Re: New Paint

Started off with replacing a rusty spare tire wheel wheel. Then I started noticing some rust here and there, just a little, but we all know a little becomes a lot later.

The rear hatch top was the worst, and it took a while to find a good replacement. The first one I got I had dipped and when it came out there was not much left. Finally found another. So I worked the new hatch, painted it and got it perfect.

Then I worked on it for about 8 months cutting out some small bad areas, welding in patch panels, and doing regular body work.
Then I replaced the front and rear window seals and did body work around them and painted them before the new windows went in. Also painted the top of the dash while the window was out.

All the while I let it sit so the body work could cure. While it was sitting I had all the window anti rattles and fuzzys replaced.
After about a year, I removed all the handles and the grill and bumpers and spent three weeks sanding it with a longboard.

Got it painted, let it sit a month and am now replacing all the stuff I took off. Almost done, just have the mirrors and the front grill and bumper to finish.

Next I am still looking for a short second row suburban seat or a blazer rear seat and I will have the upholstery shop redo the entire interior. (Gonna have to save up for a while before I can afford that though)

I have owned this suburban for over 25 years. I bought it with 80 thousand miles on it and it now has 230,000. At first it was just a utility vehicle to take the kids to the beach and stuff but over the years I have really fallen in love with this truck. Once I got in a head on collision with a Porsche. The Porsche was totaled and the driver went to the hospitable but i drove home.

Last edited by LockDoc; 03-08-2017 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Removed WTB. Need to be a Premium member to post that.
LuckyScott is offline   Reply With Quote