View Single Post
Old 03-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #69
hemi43

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spf79 View Post
I had read the same thing about the original shims getting you close enough. I have those shims in with the new pinions and dummy bearings awaiting for me to dump the carriers in place. I am going with new gears, I got rid of the original 3:07's in favor of 4:11's. Not sure if the original shims make a difference at this point since it is a different set of gears? I guess I will find out shortly. I went with G2 in the front and Motive in the rear. Hopefully they are of good quality. I have read good and bad about all brands... the problem is that you never know who to trust & the Internet is always right... right? Motive had a couple different grades of gears I opted for the more expensive set that had some kind of heat treatment since it was going in the rear. Probably a gimmick, but I own them now.
My understanding is that Richmond and Motive are one and the same, but you'll have no issues. It's difficult to find out what's "best" by asking on the net because you never know who's giving you the info.
I also went from 3.07 to 4.11's to go with my 12.5X35 tires. I have a 5.3 with a 4L60E and couldn't have picked a better gear, because the truck is very responsive and gets excellent fuel economy.

Edit;FYI, I just checked both the Richmond website, as well as the Motive website and they are infact the same company. I recall a supplier telling me that the gears even come off the same manufacturing machines.

Last edited by hemi43; 03-14-2017 at 05:24 PM.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote