View Single Post
Old 03-16-2017, 01:06 PM   #78
prorat56

Re: 1972 Build thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi43 View Post
And one more thing I've learned over the years is do not use synthetic gear lube because you will never get rid of the chatter regardless of how many bottles of additive you put in. On my Blazer I tried using Amsoil's synthetic gear lube because they claimed it was compatible. Well, they were wrong because it sounded like the rear diff was going to break in two. I gave it a few weeks hoping the noise would go away, but it never did. I drained it and put in standard gear lube and a couple bottles of GM limited slip additive, and the problem went away. That was an expensive mistake because Amsoil products aren't cheap.
I think he is using trutracks diffs witch have no clutches so no additive needed but I've been leaning away from synthetic's myself. My favorite HD gear oil is Torco race oil GL6 rated. I use it in my Dragweek prostreet car and I've been using the same 9.5" pro gear for 4 season running 7.50s and 6 thousand street miles and they still don't make noise. Also try morpar posi additive is by far the best additive I've ever used.