View Single Post
Old 03-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #20
MARTINSR

Re: how can I fix this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
The latch is working properly. I held the door open and both detents in the latch are working. I held the door open and checked that way. There is some wear on the door side of the latch but it seems odd that the door won't close all the way just due to a little wear.
If your latch is working, why are you buying new ones?

You mentioned you have new rubber, does the door shut hard like it isn't "mashing" the rubber in properly? If you simply remove the striker and push the door shut closing up that gap, does it do it easily or are you having to PUSH real hard to get the door in where it belongs?

If that is the case the rubber may be the biggest reason, either improperly installed or it simply isn't mashing down because it's more dense rubber than originally and I have found that to be the truth many times.

When I install new rubber I do so AFTER the door is aligned. I then if the rubber is denser and not allowing the door to close easily I move the striker out or just let it close on the first latch and leave it there a few days mashing the rubber a little bit, then after a few days close it all the way to mash the rubber in the rest of the way. Then a few days later the door opens and closes properly because the rubber has been compressed a bit.

But honestly, if the latch works properly why replace them, something else is wrong.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote