View Single Post
Old 02-02-2017, 12:56 AM   #16
mr48chev

Re: Putting new glass in old frames?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
I got my glass separated from the frame, but I noticed some black trim in the channel. Does anyone know what this is? Is it off the shelf rubber sealant or some sort of specialty item? I looked on LMC and ClassicParts...I'm guessing I need that before putting the new glass into the frame
Could be bits of the original or replacement (if it was ever replaced) glass tape or it could be some sort of sealer that a glass shop put in.

I'm a do almost everything on the build myself but glass is the absolute least favorite on the list and I would much rather pay someone else to do it than do it.
I have discovered over the years that there is almost a guy in every town of any size who works in a glass shop who takes on side jobs. I usually have a friend of one of my best friends do the glass at my friends house he has a shop and place to work and I don't. Next time around the truck goes to the glass shop he works at though as I have to have tempered glass made for the door windows.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote