Thread: Cab corners
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #43
MARTINSR

Re: Cab corners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
I agree doing it the best way our skill set allows us.

BUT there are people that will or have used the “if-you-can’t-weld-good-weld-a-lot” method, the “sheet-metal-screw-a-patch-and-pile-on-the-filler” method and even the “just pile-on-more-filler-over-rusted-areas” methods.

No, I’m NOT saying lap welds are equivalent to these methods but I AM saying there are better methods and they lay along a continuum to butt welded & planished repairs. Why not use the best available method? Yes, if you can. If all that’s holding you up is not WANTING to take the time to make a tightly fitting panel, well I just don’t get it I guess.
You are very right Dan, if nothing else we need to learn to do it better, step up our game.

But that's the thing too, if someone is so limited, there is no way they can butt weld it, you know what I mean?

I toss out a lot of stuff on forums that is more about "getting it done" for everyone, more than "Make it perfect" as those of us who have the skills to make it perfect don't need any help, they just do it!

Those of us who have those skills won't listen to anything less than perfect, because they know how to do it better. Those of us who don't have those skills or tools can get something done doing it the "bestest " way I lay out. I just see it as better to get something done and move on, and get better as the project progresses than to be overwhelmed thinking it has to be perfect and never get it done.

And yes, as you said, some really do need to step it up a bit and it can make a big difference.

Brian

"Fan of most anything that moves human beings"
MARTINSR is offline   Reply With Quote