View Single Post
Old 09-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #194
skorpioskorpio

Re: Project Madera: A Jimmy GT

I don't know, there is lots of double clutch exotics out there and they have great 0-60 and 0-100 times, but don't tend to really convert that to great ETs in the quarter, especially considering some of these cars have several hundred more HP than any musclecar ever came with.

...and lets face it big HP is great and all, but the problem is and always was getting it to the pavement. All these new cars with monster HP numbers would chew themselves to bits without torque management and traction control. Most of the double clutch cars and even the 6L90 equiped GMs manage the engine as part of the shift routine to keep the trans from exploding. Not really something you can do with a mechanical throttle, you need drive by wire to make this work and suddenly it's all a whole lot more complicated as an aftermarket package. 6L90 equiped cars briefly starve the engine during shifts so the sudden torque surge doesn't shatter the platetaries, and there are no bands to brake the spinny bits in these. Double clutch transmissions are similar, precise, coordinated shift events coupled with an easing of power delivery.

CVTs, problem there has always been that they are generally the same design, 2 variable diameter pullies, basically 2 cones that interlock with each other and spread apart to make the diameter less and squeeze together to make the diameter bigger. Trouble is there is a mechanical limit to how much variation you can get in this arrangement, the more there is the wider the belt (or chain) needs to be and the less relative contact area there is, meaning it needs more tension to resist slipping, which means everything needs to be beefier, so long before you approach the kind of top to bottom ratios you can get from descrete gears you end up with either a really heavy spinning mass, or something that is prone to slipping. Works a lot better with electric traction motors where torque is all centered in the low rpm range, as this type of trans can be made to slip less at it's limits than in the middle.

Even my trans will require coordinated shifting because of the double shift events that need to happen. for example a "normal" 4L80 shifts from 2nd to 3rd by clamping on the 2nd plantary to stop it and activating a clutch to lock direct drive. In mine the same shift (which is 2nd ratio +OD to the 3rd direct ratio, or 4th to 5th) means clamping the 2nd and OD planetary drums simultaniously and de-clutching direct drive. Should work well with the smooth, almost linear torque curve of the 4.2, in a big pushrod V8 with a high torque hump or a peaky turboed engine I'm not so sure.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote