Thread: Cam vs mpg
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Cam vs mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Crower used to sell a system in the early '80s with really high static compression ratio pistons and special custom cam with late intake valve closure to manage the peak pressure without knock. I forget what he called it. I think Hot Rod tested it and they would up making 25mpg in a street rod.

It was a neat idea to market it, but he wasn't the first to invent it. Sometimes called the Miller cycle.
In the 80's this would have been a great thing to have. Most big trucks or cars rarely got above the 17-18 mpg on the highway. Rumors have it that big oil would buy out the inventors of high mileage devices and lock them up in a vault never to be heard of again. I suppose others just didn't live up to their billing.

Regarding cam swap. I agree with above posts. If the truck is getting 18 mpg on the highway I wouldn't tweak one thing. As a poster once said "weld the hood shut and leave it alone."
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote