View Single Post
Old 03-30-2015, 09:38 PM   #1
jdl71

$500 trucks are still out there

Answered a CL ad a couple of weeks ago on a Sunday morning. 66 Chevy truck $500. Pretty skeptical, but I called and it was close, so I went and looked at it.

Look closely, it's there:

Guy says he bought it 5 or 6 years ago, trailered it home, and there it sat. He had quite a few projects, and actually some neat stuff like a 69 Riviera, an old Willys pickup, and a couple of Impalas among other things. Says brakes are locked up, and it probably last ran in 1992 or so.

It's a 64, not a 66, which is what I wanted anyway, 230, 3speed and has a title. He starts fiddling around trying to get it started and I told him not to bother and handed him the money. It has 4 flats, is down in the woods and has locked up brakes. Fortunately we have an old school tire shop/wrecker service in town so the next day and $75 later it is in my driveway.

There was at least 6 inches of stuffing, pine cones, acorns and rat turds in the floor. Got out the leaf blower, power washer, removed seat, chucked the camper shell and finally get it cleaned out enough to put it in my shop.

The engine seems to have some compression, and has some oil in it so I bought a battery from the junkyard, an electric fuel pump, some fuel line and a couple gallons of gas and for the first time since about 1992 she comes to life.

64 C10

66 K20

Last edited by jdl71; 03-30-2015 at 10:01 PM.
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote