View Single Post
Old 10-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #10
OrrieG

Re: Discussion - NP203 Transfer Case Failures

I had the 203 rebuilt in 1985 when I put it my 59. The mechanic (good friend now deceased RIP) upgraded the chain and put in a Doug Nash part time kit. It was my daily driver until 2000, about 7K miles a year including camping and hunting in some pretty rough stuff, When I had it out I checked it and the chain is a little loose but not enough to warrant tearing it apart. The full time shaft conversion keep the load off when in 2wd. When they stretch under load the chain will jump the gear (that is the bang) and, I assume eventually break or hand grenade the case. I have also read that the cheaper part time conversions that use the wafer bearing fail over time because the bearing breaks down allowing the internal part to move and lock up causing havoc. IF I had it to do over I would go with a 205 set up but I am not that ambitious and have a good spare ready to go that will probably last the rest of my life, the next owner can do what he wants. The biggest pain is the shifter, it is a rube goldberg affair with sliding cams that get loose and crudded up. Then you get to spend a lot of time getting underneath with a big screwdriver to pry the levers back into place. I converted mine to a twin stick so there are no cams, just two mechanical levers that pivot.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote