View Single Post
Old 02-05-2023, 09:48 PM   #23
GreasyLikeaBurger

Re: Two Steps back. My high school chevy 1950 3100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roust View Post
I got the cab back from the body guy after I gave up on doing the work myself.
The guy had may cab for way over a year and took almost $4,000 to do metal work on the sucker.
Well, I ****ing hated how it turned out.

The bead roll in the firewall he did was pinched in the transition spots. But the worst thing is it was lopsided. It droops to one side. Garbage.
I'm sure some will say "it's not that bad" but that's not the point. It clearly there and one of the things this person was hired to address.
Attachment 2256845

This is an example of how much Bondo was on the door jam before. I wont fault my metal guy for leaving the vin there. I get the issues that presents.
Attachment 2256846

Hey wait mister metal man, weren't you supposed to fix this gaping whole in my kick panel? I guess not.
Attachment 2256847

Well screw it. I might as well move along with the rough assembly of my truck as I fume and brood over this disaster.
Attachment 2256848

There are other major issues too. included continued use of excessive bondo used to cover some cover panels he slapped on.

You might ask why I took delivery of the cab like this and the answer it he had it for so long. I was no longer willing to deal with the situation. I just wanted my cab back and wash my hands of this chapter of the build experience. I paid him in full. Threw my cab onto my little utility trailer and went home with my tail between my legs.
Damn, I feel your pain. I dropped my cab off at a local dealership body shop (this was 1999) that was known for doing classics in there slow times of year(tax time and xmas). All the old timers in the area would swear by it. So I dropped it of, with repair panels for the floor and firewal (*****in Products), they sold them as a matching set. I check in every few months and am given the line that they are busy, but you are next. I even pop in every once in a while and see my cab sitting on the dolly I made for it with casters, sitting uncovered in there lot. Anyways, 18months goes by and I hear through the grapevine that the shop is closing (dealership got bought and is moving locations). So I call the manager up and says they are closing, but one of his guys is going to get it done in the next 2 weeks. So im thinking, sweet finally going to happen. A week and a half later I get a call, that I need to pick it up by the weekend. So I asked if they got it done, and he said "nope, didnt really get it started". So i go down there an pick it up. Half the floor brace pieces are missing, they had decided to attempt to grind out the firewall spot welds, then took a cutoff wheel to part of it and half butchered in the pass kick panel section. The manager had the balls to say, "dont worry, im not going to charge you for the work they did". It looks like a kid in his first day of auto shop tried to repair it. And its been sitting like that ever since. I still alk by it sitting in the garage. Someday I will get to it myself.

Im still "planning my build out".
GreasyLikeaBurger is offline   Reply With Quote