Thread: Rat repair.
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #105
swamp rat

Re: Rat repair.

Went out and took off the rear shocks today and got out my floor jack and stands and went thru the lifting of the truck routine once again to take actual shock mount measurements both in the free state and while sitting on the wheels got roughly 6" too long on the rear and 2" too long on the front then sent the measurements to the local offroad shop, then put the wheels back on again.

While the front end was up I double checked my new longer front brake lines in the free hanging state and also turning the wheels side to side, 25" is great length for this kit.

Never got around to hooking my alternator and battery back up after welding the rubber brake hose tabs on the back so did that and put my battery charger on it for the night (2 amp)

Then while i was fiddling with the steering dampener i noticed one of the front U bolts was not hanging straight down when i torqued it so i reached over and got my 3lb hammer and gave it a love tap and it snapped right over so i had to re torque it, amazingly just from me jacking the axle and truck up and down a number of times all the rest of the U bolts all needed re torquing as well.

Tomorrow i need to work on getting my brakes bled, maybe reinstall the seat without the carpet and padding so i can get closer to a test drive. still have to set toe in and adjust the steering arm length. Its also looking like a lot of the play in my front end is coming from the rebuilt steering gear, i know how to adjust the upper screw but there is a different adjustment i recall reading about somewhere on this forum, gonna have to check into that later.

The days are getting short and we have been on a fog for about 2-3 weeks now, don't know what sunlight is any more...

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's

Last edited by swamp rat; 10-19-2013 at 08:51 PM.
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote