View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 02:16 AM   #19
AJs72K5

Re: AJs 72 Pavement Pounder build

Haven't made much progress on the truck. I had food poisoning, or something last week and could barely make it to work, much less wrench on the truck. That being said, the Axle Fairy showed up last week and built my 14FF. Seriously. The last time I saw the axle (the week before), it was sitting on a couple of jack stands and was just an empty housing. Actually...I store the truck at an auto shop. It was apparently a slow week, so a couple of the mechanics decided to build the rear end . I'm talking: put in all new bearings and seals everywhere, install the Detroit, and set up the gears. I showed up at the shop and saw this:

All that's left on the rear is to weld up the perches and shock tabs, and set up the brake lines and calipers. The shackle flip moved the rear axle forward about 1.5" - 2" (see the first pic). I can make most of this up with the perches I have from DIY4X. However, I didn't know or didn't realize that I'd need a different set of spring plates to move the axle to a different hole on the perches...the spring plate moves with the axle so the spring pin doesn't sit in the hole on the factory plate now (duh). Needless to say, I've ordered a of plates set from Kert.

Gray Matter Build - 1972 K5 with some stuff

Last edited by AJs72K5; 01-31-2010 at 01:08 AM.
AJs72K5 is offline   Reply With Quote