View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 02:42 PM   #15
jocko

Re: 71 GMC Longhorn, compatible engine and transmition

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryIndy2112 View Post
Truckster,

Ok, that makes sense. Is there any way to tell from tag? The truck is a 1 ton, longhorn. I have sales receipt from 1971, it was sold from GM with a trailer stacked on bed. He put $15 down and paid $150 a month to pay it off. I have a lot of original paperwork. Sorry that I was confused by the 400 vs 402 designation. Sounds right to me now. I really did not know, and that is why I am posting here. I am a noob, and looking to learn. Part of the journey.

thanks
Jerry
Jerry, Can you elaborate on what you’d like to confirm in your 2nd sentence? The 400 small block didn’t exist in trucks until mid-70’s, so your SPID definitively confirms that your truck was born with a big block 402. Doesn’t guarantee it hasn’t been swapped out for another big block or a small block. Post a pic and we can help. You SPID also confirms it’s a 1 ton Longhorn (by the first “3” in the VIN , and the 133” wheelbase).

Stocker - I thought YE9 Sierra Grandes were introduced in mid-71 along with the Chev Cheyenne Super - but not certain. (As in highest trim level)
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote