View Single Post
Old 04-27-2018, 09:48 AM   #7
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

After having it painted and driving it a bit I decided to tackle the rotted bed floor. The main reason was the fact the bed moved around and was barely attached. Lest anyone thing it was the OEM style wood floor, it was not. It was basic 3/4 CDX plywood.

Years prior I had acquired a 1990 SWB floor for use in a '58 Chevy 3100. I sold the truck before I go around to working on the floor so the '90 bed floor was sitting around. You can see where this is going...

After it was all said and done I would NEVER do this again. Don't get me wrong, I love the metal floor but there are better ways. This required major sheet metal work, moving cross-sills, adjusting the wheel well openings in the floor. An overall train wreck. My recommendation: 1) use a metal from a 67-72 SWB because it bolts in, 2) buy long bed center sections for a square body and make your own cross-sills from rectangular tubing.

The tubs were left open because they were rotted and I wasn't sure what I was going to do at this point.

One more note: Herculiner sucks! It looks good in the final photo, but it quickly faded out and is basically translucent at this point.

After removing the rotted plywood bed.

A terrible flip phone photo!

Herculiner sucks!

After this things took a turn and I didn't drive it again for years.

1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote