View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #13
Genuine GM

Re: Project Whipping Post

Around January 2010 I decided to try to improve the turd of a 305. I had a plan. A good plan. A workable plan. It was a plan I could afford. The plan? Replace the garbage exhaust, add decent looking valve covers, a used Performer RPM and a rebuilt 600 Holley. As a long time hot rodder in a family of hot rodders I had the parts laying around. I also planned on welding up some holes in the firewall, repainting the block while in the chassis and cleaning up the engine compartment in general. I wanted it to look nice and not like you needed a tetanus shot walking by it with the hood up. "Planned"...

Shortly after I took this photo I scored a low mile 5.3 LS with a carb intake and MSD box for $500!

5.3 > 305 (or 350) so the 3-oh-garbage came out along with the TH350 slip-o-matic. The revised plan was to clean the firewall and fenders then repaint, install the new-to-me engine with a better trans (trans is a story for later) and get it back on the road. At this point things were developing quickly. Those with the eye of a hawk will notice the crossmember is removed. (Those with the nose of a hawk should seek a plastic surgeon)

The crossmember was out because I scored this '85 model for free! Notice there are no springs installed. Moving it was a source of countless blood blisters!

Eleventy-seven hours later I had everything wire wheeled, scrubbed and ready for installation. All I lacked was finishing up.

This brings us too July 2, 2010. I remember the exact day because I took this photo before my wife and I left for the hospital. See on that day they induced labor and my lovely (car girl) wife gave me my second boy.

I had made good progress at this point. But two kids pretty much took all of my time and money. So what to do next....
1961 IH Scout 80 - "Gaucho" (My wife's new project)
1938 Chevy - unstarted project.

Last edited by Genuine GM; 05-01-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Genuine GM is offline   Reply With Quote