View Single Post
Old 06-04-2018, 11:10 PM   #2515
Vic1947

Re: Crusty Rusty Leaky Squeaky 67 Step

I got a nice reply from Aeromotive this afternoon. Here's what they said...

"I’m sorry to hear you’ve had trouble, but I can tell you exactly what’s happened. The Corvette Filter/Regulator is not compatible with pumps that flow in excess of 190 LPH (what they were designed for from GM). At 340 LPH the filter tends to clog very quickly, commonly in 3-5 weeks, after which the pressure between the pump and the filter skyrockets. This is probably what caused the in-tank hose to split as the pump pressure will hit 95-PSI before the bypass in the pump opens. Most importantly you’re going to need a proper, high flow filter and regulator in order to avoid future problems. We recommend a 12347 fuel filter and 13138 fuel pressure regulator for optimum performance and service life."

So there you have it... straight from the folks that should know. I don't recall this being mentioned on any of the blogs where guys were recommending the Corvette filter/regulator. I'm a bit surprised at the notion the filter would clog that quickly, given that the tank was new and had only a tiny amount of fine particulate matter in it when I removed the pump the other day. Plus, the large plastic screen filter on the pump inlet looked clean. But, the end result sure looks like what they described. Regardless, I'll revise the system to use their filter and regulator. Another expensive lesson.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote