View Single Post
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
OneOffStroker

How I got Hydroboost for under $80 (including lines)

Here's a thread that will hopefully save you guys some time & money while updating your trucks to better, safer brakes.

I got a Hydroboost with Master Cylinder & prop valve from a '94 Astro out of my local pick-n-pull for just under $30. When scavenging a hydroboost (HB) from Astro vans, look for the earlier 90's, as the later ones are mounted at an extreme angle that just might not work in our trucks. The earlier ones are mostly straight. It unbolts from the inside, near the brake pedal, and is overall easy enough to remove. I cut the stock lines at the gear box and the pump, just so that I could gauge how long they were, because that was the highlight of the savings.

Most HB swaps that I researched before I did mine used Earl's Pro-flex hose and fittings, which are pricey. Add to that the necessary adapters to fit up to the HB, pump, and gear, and these guys were in over $200 in just lines and fittings. Personally, I don't spend $200+ on 4 feet of hose.

Like I mentioned earlier, I cut the stock Astro lines to gauge how long they were. They were much too short, and would not work at all. BUT...the General made more than one truck with HB. The newer HD pickups had HB setups as well. They also had front mounted steering pumps and gearboxes, much like our trucks. I gambled and ordered a set of lines for a 2003 Silverado 1500 HD. They are very reasonable from RockAuto, but I spent a few bucks more and got the exact same parts (Edelman 92084 & 92095) from Summit, because their return policy is super easy, just in case.

Well, the lines were a perfect fit, except for the line from the HB to the stock gear box. The HB had a 18x1.5mm o-ring fitting, and the stocker uses a 7/16 Inverted Flare. I searched the interwebs and asked hydraulics shops for an adapter or series of adapters, but struck out everywhere. I thought I was going to have to return the lines and start over, but then I noticed something. (Actually I noticed it days earlier, but wanted to sound dramatic ) Even thought the new line had a metric fitting, it was a standard 3/8" line, as is the stock one. See where I'm going with this?

I cut off just the flared end from both lines, took the 7/16 flare from the stock line, put it on the new line, and put a double 45* flare on it. Perfect fit! While I was at it, I bent up a small piece of 3/8" tube I had and added the nut from the stock return line. This will allow me to run the return line into the necessary 'T' fitting without any drama.

So add up the cash...less than $30 for HB and M/C, and about $50 for lines, and that's the $80 Hydroboost.
Attached Images

OneOffStroker is offline   Reply With Quote