View Single Post
Old 12-30-2020, 03:22 PM   #86
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: old style locking hubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 View Post
The hubs didn't blow up, they just didn't engage until after I pulled forward and tried to back up again several times. Fortunately we weren't stuck - just trying to do something a little bit difficult. It's not "convenient" when your 4wd doesn't work when you need it.

It also has the limited slip rear which I really like but I don't know if it is as vulnerable as the old ones? But I drive like the grandpa that I am
I worked in a 4x4 shop back in the 80s up to '92 and I replaced dozens, if not hundreds at that time. Many of them would either not lock at all, lock only moving forward, or not unlock. I did see a few actually grenaded, but they were on modified trucks with way too big of a tire for them.
The newer trucks still use the same code number (G80) as they did back then, but I don't know if they are the same anymore? They had a bad reputation too. I replaced a ton of them too. Most of them just threw up the little gears/springs of the governor. Not exactly what you want roaming around in your gear lube and it deactivates it as far as usefullness. I have seen them explode badly enough to crack the whole housing.
These were again usually done by people abusing them. Bigger tires or extensive off roading were mostly to blame. Crazy spinning on a concrete boat ramp was the killer of the worst I ever personally took apart.
I hope they are ok now a days because I have one in my 20 Colorado.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote