View Single Post
Old 06-04-2017, 11:51 PM   #1430
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: Over 25 Years Later, Finally My 71 C-10 Truck Build

Friday night I got the new engine loaded into the back of the plow truck for the ride over to the other garage for the install.

I spent a little more time doing some cleaning under the hood. BTW, don't bother with that cheap walmart degreaser. That crap wouldn't even clean off the light oil film on my firewall. I used simple green afterwards, much better. Then I got the engine up and in the truck.

That's about as far as I got that night. It was in and the pins on the back were in the corresponding holes of the bell housing.

Saturday I worked on the porch. Today I worked on the truck. I managed to get the tranny mated to the engine and got it bolted into the truck. The torque converter is bolted to the flex plate. Oh yeah, Friday I found out my flexplate from the 283 wouldn't work on the newer style 350 crankshaft. Good thing I saved the flexplate from a couple other engines and had the correct one. I finished painting the alternator and mounted that and was finally able to see if I had the right fan belt. The headers are bolted on. I had to modify the throttle rod. The FI Tech unit places the throttle further forward. The original rod I had was out to it's maximum length and about 1-1/2" too short. I cut it and welded in a piece of bolt that was the same diameter. The new EFI is bolted down, the O2 sensor was swapped for the new one. The shifter is reconnected, starter is in and I probably did a few other bits.

This is how it sits tonight.

I thought I might get to fire it today, but I ran out of steam. What's left is power steering lines, fuel pump, wire the EFI and new pump, install the cap and plug wires. I think that's about it. Maybe tomorrow.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote