View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 10:22 PM   #20
weq92f

Re: What brand of hydraulic roller lifters is good for Chevy 454

Turns out the pushrods needed are just a hair under 150 thousands shorter than the ones I'm running for the comps.

Using the manufacturers specs, the seat height of the new lifters is 0.148" shorter. So I took that and measured out both an exhaust and an intake pushrod with my tool right at the calculated sizes, installed those and tested them with the new lifters on the base circle. Using a rocker stud based length checker I found about a 60 to 100thou gap above the valve tip on the intake and a little less on the exhaust.

Using the existing comp lifters and pushrods I did the same test and found the same gap.

I did not want to pull the springs to install test springs ( super lightweight springs ) because head is installed and couldn't find my adapter and I am unable to disassemble one of the howards lifters due to the crossbar as its attachment anchor will interfere. So...

I said F'k it... painted the valve tips, installed the rockers to zero lash + half turn and rolled the engine over two cycles of the valves. The marks looked good.

Went to summit ( my only TODAY store ) and they had a single option that were dang close, well within .050 so I got 'em.
Attached Images

99 540 sport V8 6sp -- sold
73 240z L24 4sp -- given to friend
68 C10 step 350/350 3.73 open -- sold
weq92f is offline   Reply With Quote