View Single Post
Old 10-11-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
jeffahart

Re: Lift Help for 4x4 GMC

[quote=SangerV;8362111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffahart View Post
Very interesting, How does it ride? Just curious. Anyhow, if you want to go back to an OE bumper you need the rest of the frame horn. Here's a picture of the front of my frame horns, you can probably find a better picture out there, this is one I have on file.
I've seen some funky stuff, that just might be a case of... ugly works!
Anyhow, cut grind get stuff cleaned up for your new shackle mounts and get the frame horn tips. And get the proper lift springs.
j

Thanks for the advise. The ride is surprisingly good.
How do I know what spring will produce the correct (same) lift ?
Are horn tips readily available either oem or aftermarket ?
As far as lift, nothing is exact from system to system. When you get a 4" lift kit with rear blocks, the front sits higher than the rear. You would really need to measure to the frame and get a stock profile measurement. But, if you have 4" blocks in the rear you could get 4" springs and a 1" zero rate leaf/block for the rear to level it off. If what you have is more like 3" in the front then you might not be happy with the extra inch. In short, I don't know what would give you exact same height you have now. I think you are assuming 4".

For the horns, you need to whack them off another frame. The bumper mounts snug to that horn and has braces from the ends of the bumper going to the frame. You need to finesse the horns on there so the bumper fits nice.

j

j