View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 02:26 PM   #9
Dustmaker65

Re: Lift Cylinder Stuck...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coley View Post
I wouldn't work on that without putting some type of strong framework underneath it to keep it from plummeting, crushing and smashing everything when it does get resolved.
Seriously, get some 4x4's or 6x6's etc and quickly nail something up together....maybe about 2" below the current lift line.
Or if you have some metal scaffolding components around, etc.
That way if it does suddenly come down it won't travel far....and you can tell in the meantime if you are making progress.

Regardless.....working on a stuck, lifted hoist is a very dangerous game....be very careful on what you are removing or loosening...and be very aware of the deadly damage a large piece of steel can cause when it falls 6ft.
I kid you not....believe me.

Good luck and keep us posted

All good
Coley
There is nothing on the lift cylinder...not even the head(arms???). It is just the cylinder coming up from the floor. As for the dangers, I am very careful. I called an ex-mechanic of this shop and he said they are designed to come down with the weight of the car on the lift. Well I don't have a car on the lift, so now I need to come up with something to make it disappear back into the concrete floor.