View Single Post
Old 06-29-2018, 05:38 PM   #383
ibrown50

Re: Ian's Tennessee Honey '64 Short Box Step-side - England

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythompson1964 View Post

I moved to Tennessee a little over 5 years ago, I was working in this area and thought the same thing so I moved here. If you end up in TN again in the future we will have to meet and swap truck stories
That sounds like a plan

I have an update on the truck to do shortly but realised I haven't told you about the steering column I bought,

I have been looking for a chevy steering column since I bought the truck, a couple of reasons, I want to fit a collapsible section for safety reasons, I want a tilt and I want to go back to a column shift, I currently have a floor shift and the column mechanism was stripped out of the column by a PO.

In the UK they aren't that common, they tend to make £150-£200 ($200 - $250) and are always hundreds of miles away and sell quickly.

I mentioned that I had a vacation in Halkidiki, Greece a few weeks ago. Well I was sat in the taxi that was taking us from the airport to the hotel looking on at the various UK forums I subscribe to and guess what. There's a Chevy column for sale.....wait it gets better, I know the guy who has it for sale and his shop is about 5 miles from me, and ....(i'm not finished yet ) it was £40 (about $50).

The only problem....I'm 2000 miles and three timezones away. However, thanks to those modern miracles the internet and the smart phone, I managed to contact him agree the sale and pay him for it before we arrived at the hotel.

I picked it up last week, it's a bit scruffy and needs tidying up but is complete right down to the ignition key and (in the UK at least) an absolute bargain

Name:  steering column.jpg
Views: 437
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  steering column wheel.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  65.0 KB

I was told it came out of a late 70's Blazer?