View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #22
DesertCat

Re: Rattle Can or Primer before body work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SulphuriousSam View Post
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions guys

I passed a couple of them by a friend who has some body shop experience and he said definitely do not wax or spray clear on the truck because both would be really difficult to get rid of in cracks and seams without having to sand blast the entire body.

These two suggestions were my favorite ideas because I've basically gotten my wife convinced it's best not to mess with the color until it's all mechanically sound.

Anybody here with paint & body experience want to weigh in on the idea that using wax or clear coat on my patina will force me to basically strip the truck to bare metal before painting later? Keep in mind I want to avoid this since she's not going to be a trailer queen just a fun ride and driver.
Your freind would be correct IF you could save the existing paint, but you can't. Sorry. Even if you went straight to your eventual paint job now, it needs to be stripped.

The problem is the existing paint has almost completely broken down and is not a stable substrate to work with. Trying to cheat here will cost in the end.

Remember, it's the prep that separates a good paint job from a crappy one.