View Single Post
Old 10-19-2015, 04:24 AM   #50
The1960APE

Re: New member with a 1960

Here are some pics of the bed wood progress...Keep in mind I have not installed the new (old looking) Bed front.
The wood is a Curly, ambrosia, wormy maple! I have the same issue as pictured on both sides, in the mid section (Tire Area) of the bed it measures about 49-1/2 wide, at the front and rear of the bed it is right at 50 which leads me to the assumption that the center needs to go outwards, is this correct? I see no way to bring the front and back inwards, I was thinking of building a jig and using a bottle jack to push the center area outwards and brace it out until the bed floor is installed. What do you guys suggest?
In the pictures we have not started the finish process. I was considering this
1)Walnut stain diluted with 25% denatured alcohol apply, lightly sand, apply, lighty sand, repeat steps 3-4 times
2) After the last coat wipe even with denatured alcohol for an even finish
3) After fully fry apply a coat of boiled linseed oil
4) after fully dry apply several coats 7-10 of clear gloss poly wet sanding between each coat, let cure for two weeks for full hardening
5) Wet sand final coat 500G, 800G, 1000G, 1500G, 2000G, 3000G then a 2-3 step buffing process!

Suggestions? I have done a method similar on a restoration of a 1950 Brunswick pool table that turnes out like a sheet of glass over the wood, but I did not use the boiled Linseed oil process.

The1960APE is offline   Reply With Quote