View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 12:30 AM   #61
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Phoenix pop-up camper for Bigassgas8.1L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorit View Post
I love this rig you built!

The camper is awesome, but pretty expensive for me right now.

The rear bumper though, is something the I have been wanting to have fabricated for myself for a long time! Is this something that is built to order, if so I am wondering what the costs would be.

I have been dreaming of building a rig like this for years, and I am probably going to base it off of a 1970 K10 that I have been eyeballing. Your rig has been my inspiration to get off my butt to just build it!
Thanks Vectorit! Glad to be an inspiration to somebody on something!

Ah, long story about the rear bumper….my buddy originally built this bumper 20 years ago in high school for the front of a 70’s Dodge Power Wagon. Then later it went on his Jeep J20 for several years than again it was moved to a ’88 Suburban. About 5 years ago or so he sold the Suburban and we flipped the bumper upside down and fitted it to the rear of my truck.

Then this past summer we cut off the tube caps and welded in a pair of tire carrier swing spindle kits for the double swing. For the most recent remodel to the bumper was about $150 in materials not including a wireless winch remote kit that I added (stupid winch cord wouldn't reach the cab so I had to go wireless)

History of the bumper…

When the bumper was on the front of the Jeep J20. It was a badazz Jeep!

Same bumper on the Suburban after a quick (and unfinished) remodel to fit a 12,000lb Warn and redo the frame mounts.

Reworking the bumper after removing it from the Suburban to fit the back of mine. Sept 2006

About a year later it gained a winch

As it is today…

Last edited by DirtyLarry; 08-01-2011 at 12:35 AM.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote