View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 06:46 PM   #745
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Re: The Hillbilly Deluxe dually build

Quote:
Originally Posted by 83GMCK2500 View Post
I am tracking. My '83 has been in the family since new and between this forum, a couple others, and my friends I have a good idea on the direction I want to head with it, has helped me in keeping my eyes open for parts/deals as well.

Hah, I should have caught that when you said '89, I knew the 4x4 is newer.

A 4500 swap is a beautiful thing, I have one in the works myself. After a lot of research I chose an early one with external clutch slave cylinder. The later design with the fully synchronized 1st & Reverse was appealing, but I am not sold on the internal slave/throwout bearing assemblys used in them.

How have you decided to address the routing of the parking brake cables on Hillbilly Deluxe? Did you have or will you be keeping the factory rear swaybar? I ask because with the purchase of new ubolts, this is an ideal time to ditch that saddle-under-axle tube style plate that GM used. I am not a fan of how they collect dirt/debris and accelerate the deterioration of the bolts, but I recognize they are necessary with the factory style swaybar mount. With the disassembly of the rear springs will you be coating and installing new pads between them?
My truck doesn't have a rear sway bar. Judging by the options listed on the SPID, I don't see where it ever did. I haven't posted pictures yet, but I just sandblasted and painted the stock spring plates. I'm not sure what depth I'll go into with the leaf springs. I am kind of thinking about a quick exterior wire brushing, some Rustoleum semi gloss and go with it. I could spend 100 dollars on new bushings and liner material just or rebuild a pair of leaf springs that are so stiff I won't ever be getting much spring action out of anyway. This thing rides like it has a solid rear suspension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanroo View Post
ok, i think i figured it out. significant savings. i really hate to abandon my local businesses but jeez. all the good counter guys get hired elsewhere because they dont make enough money and i end up trying to tell the tards that are left how to look up parts. gets old.
Be sure and use the discount code I posted above. It's only 5%, but money is money.

Currently, I'm at the fire station counting the minutes till I get off in the morning and I'll go by the spring shop to get my u bolts made.

I've been searching Craigslist looking for a stock 85-87 four headlight grille for this truck. I figured I'd try to find someone who wants a billet and trade them for their stocker. I think the dually will look better with a stock grille with white center bar. I had the same combo on my 83 about 20 years ago and I sure liked it.

Last edited by Tx Firefighter; 01-05-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote