View Single Post
Old 01-11-2008, 10:38 AM   #13
Super73

Re: Intros and set up..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom 68 View Post
Wow Shaun, that is great. I am running a 5.3 in mine and might be interesed in your converter if you are going to sell, but anyway on your suspension setup, what pinion angle are you running? did you change this? When I did m install I lowered my engine as far as I could by making my own mounts so I think I need to change my rear end some to match it seem sto be pointing up too much.
I need to get mine to hook even with less power than you have?
Thanks
Dave

Dave,

I'm assuming you went with a 4L60E trans. My 4L80E converter wouldn't work.

What tire do you have on it?

Ohhh, man, he said the P word... You get so many different answers on pinion angle when asked, it's not even funny. Not to say my ideas are spot on, but, this is how I look at it.

From reading different suspension books and things, I'm not sure pinion angle actually has any affect on how the rear tires are shocked. I think by keeping the pinion in phase under acceleration simply allows you to put all your power to the ground and not loose any extra in friction loss through the drive shaft. So by achieving proper phase at launch will net you the best 60' times.

I recently checked pinion angle. Right now it is +2* (pointing up 2* from being phased with the trans out put shaft). When doing the math to radius drill my new LCA brackets, for every 1" of movement up with the front mounting hole, the pinion would change 1.1* This got me thinking, if the pinion is up 2* and the truck is squating 1-2" on launch currently, the pinion is almost in perfect phase right now. When I change the A/S, I will probably have to adjust pinion angle to get it in to phase again.

Last edited by Super73; 01-11-2008 at 10:38 AM.
Super73 is offline   Reply With Quote