View Single Post
Old 03-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #129
Scott2

Re: Scott's '51 Build

I'm planning on running some wider rear tires so earlier I cut the bed sides for clearance and, of course, now I need mini tubs. I saw someone else on here used mid-60's inner wheelhouses and I really liked the look. I found a set while looking through a yard full of 60-66 trucks and parts down south and 45 miles east of Pueblo, CO - that's three "towns" past BFE.

I pulled those wheelhouses out from behind my shed and cut them to 3-1/2" wide and will figure out how to install them shortly. I also knocked off the remaining angle strips along the sides. They were each held on (4 strips left after cutting the middle sections out) by one clutch head bolt and a bunch of really crappy little spot welds. I wrecked a couple of previously fine paint scrapers by driving them down behind the strips and cut the welds.

I decided to go with unpolished SS strips and angles for the bed, likely with some aged white oaks boards that I will cut. The angles are shown - but have no holes to mount to the bedsides.

Anyone mount these SS angle strips? Obviously, I can get SS carriage bolts and one in each strip will go thru the fender mount holes as stock. I'd like to put a second one to each strip but that means they will stick out on the outside of the bedside. I can't weld SS to crappy rusted steel - correct? I suppose I could use the one bolt each, bolt them to the bed boards, and the use panel adhesive to glue them to the bedsides? Any good ideas?
Attached Images