View Single Post
Old 01-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #24
SCOTI

Re: my C10 project....building a truck from a heap of parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddyjeep View Post
I agree that many tools can be purchased and reasonably relied on from discount places such as Harbor Freight, but I don't think a welder is one of those tools. Save your pennies and get something decent. If I had to do it over again I would save a few more pennies and look into the Esab Rebel. It is a small all in one machine that runs MIG, TIG, or stick on either 110 or 220. I am sure it falls short of a larger dedicated machine in many ways, but for us hobby guys I think it would be perfect.
Too add to this.... The unit I purchased was a Hobart 210 (basically 'base' models built by Miller) from Northern Tool. Northern Tool had a 1yr no-interest credit deal going on. I was able to get my welder + a Hobart plasma cutter on my purchase & used/gained experience on both while paying them off within the year (vs saving the total cash to buy & having to wait/lose opportunity toward my learning curve).

Quote:
Originally Posted by moregrip
....I even took 2 college courses, years ago, in SMAW and TIG, I'm somewhat familiar with those processes.....I've run a MIG on an occasion or two, no significant issues I can remember.
I did the same. But, after not having the equipment to continue practicing/working with, the beginners ability seems to dwindle. If you have a Northern Tool, see if they offer the same type of credit deal that helped me....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote