View Single Post
Old 06-09-2016, 03:43 PM   #11
old cool

Re: Newbie thinking about diving into a '65 GMC 1000

I am reaching 20 plus grand on a nice looking '66 short bed Custom series. Even at that amount, the truck has needed some work mechanically. The Dana 44, rear main, slip yoke seal, pinion seal (also needed redi sleeve and new bearing) all leaked. My lifters were quieted with mid range viscosity oil with zinc. I also put it a pint of Reslone lifter treatment. As a neglected PU, you can almost count on brake work and other things as mentioned by previous threads. (always great help from this forum). These are not complicated trucks. I found ground connections need to be addressed before panicking that something is not working. Dash cluster comes out with 5 screws, undo the speedo cable, and one 10 prong plug. (I put lots of PB blaster in speedo cable at took care of wobble in speedometer needle.
NOW for the good points.
1. short bed fleet side!!!!!
2. factory tachometer. rarely found
3.It looks orginal with possibly being red originally. WOW that could mean $$$

FYI: hood, grill parts, dash parts, hub caps are not repopped. Got to find on internet.
Almost forgot, I would be most concerned with solid body than mechanics. If needed, a small block is basically a bolt in.

Restoration is expensive but there are guys with know-how that would jump at that truck if its solid and capable of being registered. make sure VIN number in upper door jam matches all other paper work.

Last edited by old cool; 06-09-2016 at 03:46 PM. Reason: grammar and added info
old cool is offline   Reply With Quote