View Single Post
Old 10-09-2012, 08:50 PM   #93
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Re: Polar Bear Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP7 View Post
Do you know how much more that full floater weights than the semi?

Does it have a posi, what kind the eaton rev-lok?

My 81 k20 has the 14 bolt semi with 4.10s. I always thought id but in a Full floater in it.

Just put a pinion seal on the semi and changed the oil. It looked excelent inside and has a posi. Lot of heavy use pulling a concrete pump for years and all that heavy hose in the back, seemed to hold up ok.

Whats a good price on a 14 bolt FF with 4.10s? If I dont find a deal else where besides a junk yard

Should I look for a particular year axle to go right in my 81 k20 ?
Not sure how much more a 14 bolt FF weights over a 14 bolt SF but it is considerably more, especially if running the 13 x 3.5 drums. The 14 bolt FF I used from my dad’s truck is open, no locker or limited slip.

Cost wise, around here 14 bolt FF range from $80 at a pick and pull yard where any axle is $80 regardless what axle it is (although they seldom have good stuff), up to $400 at other yards.

The best years to pirate an axle from is ’73-’87. The square body ’88-‘91 trucks with full floaters were 1 tons which the spring perches are wider than a ¾ ton so they are not a direct bolt in. Late model 14 bolt FF have a wider track width and just don’t look right in an older truck in my opinion plus they need perch work to bolt into an older truck as well.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote